Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Holland

I hate Holland. Oh, not the province of Holland in the Netherlands or even the cities of Holland in various states. But the essay, Welcome to Holland. Every time someone sends this essay to me, I respond in a less than flattering manner. Then, generally, I am told “I don’t get it.” Oh, I get it all right. I don’t think the author had an agenda when she wrote it but I do think that she may have been slightly brainwashed by society.

As a mom to 4 kids with special needs I look at it like this; who in the heck are you to tell me where I may go and where I may stay? Hey, my plane may have been diverted to Holland but I’m not staying unless we, as a family, want to stay. It may please society to “keep my children in their places” but my mission in life is not to please society but to advocate for my children. Yes, as the rest of the country comes and goes to Italy, I am not going to sit idly by, wave, and holler, “Hey, have a good trip!”

Many parents with special needs children will stay in Holland but as for me and my house, we are going to Italy. Or, maybe Greece, Spain, Portugal or Machu Picchu. And we aren’t taking the “short bus” to get there.

7 Comments:

At August 30, 2007 at 11:47 AM , Blogger Noni said...

I just came across your post by accident but I read it and I had to laugh. Someone had given me the Holland story and I thought at first cool, but like you I want to go other places, and I do not want to stay in Holland when all of my friends are in Italy. Thanks for making me laugh this morning. Naomi- mother of a 5yr old with type 1 diabetes

 
At September 5, 2007 at 10:44 AM , Blogger ThePreemie Experiment said...

Yep, I sure hate that poem too.

In Holland my child is in pain. I want her to be in Italy with the rest of her peers.

 
At September 5, 2007 at 6:07 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Didn't someone make a "Holland Scholland" version of this (stupid) poem?

 
At November 16, 2007 at 2:24 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

May I copy and paste your holland post to some friends via email if I put a link in to your blog?'

mama to one on the autistic spectrum and two preemies

 
At November 16, 2007 at 6:01 PM , Blogger TwinsX2 said...

Anonymous November 16, 2007 2:24 PM. Sure. Is your one with ASD also a preemie?

 
At November 17, 2007 at 8:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you. Yes, he is but he was also alcohol exposed before birth so his primary diagnosis is Fetal Alcohol Syndrome.

thank you for letting me share it.

I enjoyed reading your blog

 
At November 30, 2012 at 11:11 PM , Anonymous Braaten said...

Maybe we were discussing it that day or something, but the note read:Lela Lawler Licks Lollipops Lasciviously.Yes, that used to be my name. An added bonus is that many of your best buys among items of jewelry will also be able to worn and enjoyed for many years to come. Making the exchange you can threathen him, telling him that "Maven Black-Briar would probably pay much more for this information."; and persuade him to give you Frost, in addition to the 1500 gold for the mission reward.Mission reward(s): People collect coins for a variety of reasons and there are a number of The bottom line on this one is, that I failed to go and buy it and it was perhaps that failure on my part which saw this song not quite achieve the chart success that it deserved.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home